Drip, drip, drip – A dripping shower head can be annoying but is usually easily identified and easily fixed. A drip or trickle of water going unchecked behind a wall or under a shower recess for days, months or even years can cause substantial and expensive damage.
Leaking showers are the single biggest major concern I see on a weekly basis. If the problem is not identified and rectified quickly water can damage, erode, rot and destroy almost any surface. This can lead, eventually, to substantial structural problems. Persistent moisture may also encourage timber pests, compromising the structure of your home and generally result in its devaluation.
We look for difficult to spot problems that can easily be covered up by vendors. These issues are not only found in old bathrooms but are often found in newly renovated ones concealed behind new paint, fresh silicon not to mention air freshener. In many instances waterproofing has not been installed to the Australian Standard 3740-2004 or has been damaged over time. This is critical as an essential backup layer designed to keep water from leaking from a shower.
Underrated water issues are significant especially as they can mean expensive repairs down the track. Many would be buyers are blown away when confronted by the costs to repair as well as the inconvenience of your bathroom being out of action for a prolonged time.
Have you factored these potential costs into your budget?
- Repairing structure damage
- Bathroom Demolishment of works
- Retiling and waterproofing
- Reinstalling or purchase of new shower screen
- Silicone, painting and grouting works
- Reinstalling shower trays and waste
- Installing new wall sheeting
- New plumbing works
- Building Inspection costs
Why Repairs need to be addressed immediately
- Development of mould
- Damage to paintwork and plasterboard
- Tiles may lift or fall off
- Structural damage – Wall frame flooring floor joists bearers
- Structural damages, floorboards, beams or bearers
- Development of wood rot
- Eventually collapse of structure
- Attracts termites and wood decay