Buying a home or building a new home is a huge step for a first-time buyer. To ensure that your home remains in tip-top shape and that it does not shed some of its value, you have to have a regular home maintenance regimen that will keep the home looking good while maintaining its structural integrity as well as the condition of the various surfaces in the home.
Here are some useful tips in home inspection process for the best condition and save some money over the long term.
Carrying out Maintenance in the Roof Space
The roofing of your house is exposed to harsh elements so it will likely take a bit of a beating. If not well maintained, it will eventually give way to the heavy storms and temperature extremes. The roofing material may begin warping or the underlying rot in the roof may destroy the structural integrity of the roofing exposing you to more hazards and potential high repair costs.
Hire professional and licensed building inspector to inspect the roofing for signs of deterioration. The inspection should not just focus on the roofing material and structure but also on the quality of insulation. Most of the roofing disintegration is caused by poor insulation. The insulation should not just be in good shape but it should be fit for the environment.
Inspect the Finishes and Coverings
They look good when they are freshly installed but wear out quickly with time if not well maintained. A large home will no doubt have various kinds of finishes so you need to figure out the right maintenance routine for each finish. Here are some of the tasks you can carry out to ensure your coverings and finishes maintain their look.
- Make sure the tiled areas are cleaned on a regular basis. You can put a foot map at the entrance of the rooms to ward off any particles that may get onto the tiled areas. These are likely to have an abrasive effect on the tiling when stepped on.
- Spot clean your carpets on a regular basis in case of any spillages. Once in a while, order a thorough professional cleaning of your carpets. You should also vacuum the carpets on a regular basis to ensure they stay clean and fresh.
- Timber floors can be cleaned by wiping and mopping them on a regular basis. The main advantage with timber flooring however is that they can easily be refinished.
- Outdoor areas such as patios and decking are generally more exposed to the elements and hence wear out quickly. These can be resealed or refinished in order to maintain the original pristine look and finish.
- The finishes of your appliances should also be kept in could shape with regular cleaning and wiping.
Room by Room Home Maintenance
After working on some of the key maintenance stuff in your home such as the roofing and the covering, check if the rooms are in great shape. Look out for any signs of tear and wear. Check out corners where pets and pests are likely to hide and leave their droppings and ensure they are in great shape.
While carrying out daily maintenance may seem tedious, it gets a lot easier when you fit the cleaning procedures into your daily routine. With time, you will be able to transform it into an easy and manageable task that also keeps your room in excellent shape.
Maintaining your home doesn’t have to cost much. A little effort on your part accompanied by some comprehensive inspections far between can keep you on top of things, allowing you to arrest problems earlier on before they go too far.